Saturday, February 2, 2013

Valentine's Day storytime fun

It's February! Love is in the air.  Valentine's Day is a great time to emphasize all the great picture books about friendship, love and good manners during storytime and during the whole month!  I have a cute flannelboard rhyme to share too. 

One of the books I want to share is Doodle Bites: A Tilly and Friends Book by Polly Dunbar. This is a fun way to talk about 'no biting' and being forgiving.  Another book that's not really a Valentine's book but is about love is The Secret by Lindsay Barrett George.  The children always enjoy following the progress of Mr. Snail's secret from critter to critter until it reaches Mrs. Snail. 

The week of Valentine's Day I'll be using Valentine Day books, One Heart: A Valentine Counting Book by Maryann Cocca-Leffler and Be Mine, Be Mine, Sweet Valentine by Sarah Weeks. 
Here is one of the Valentine Flannel rhymes I'm planning on sharing at storytime:

Five Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day!

Five cupcakes in the bakery shop
Vanilla frosting with a heart on top
Along came a boy with a penny one day
Bought a cupcake and took it away
Yum! 

Four cupcakes in the ....
Three…
Two…

One cupcake in the bakery shop
Vanilla frosting with a heart on top
I came along with a penny one day
Bought that cupcake and took it away!

No cupcakes in the bakery shop
Vanilla frosting with a heart on top
Each was bought to give away
To a happy friend for Valentine’s Day!

I had been wanting to make this really cute cupcake flannel set that I had seen on Pinterest from Money Saving Mom.  So when I saw this adorable rhyme from Jane at her  blogspot Piper Loves the Library the wheels started turning.  I adapted the rhyme a little and made these cupcakes for my Valentine storytime theme.
Can't wait to share the Fun with Friends at Storytime!

*for the repost on 1-9-15, The rest of the Flannel Friday roundup is @ Libraryland