Monday, October 5, 2020

One Potato...and more! *Update!

  * This is an update with a new picture book that would be so fun to use with older preschoolers.  My 4 year old grandson liked this book a lot! His 9 and 11 year old brothers enjoyed the clever play on veggies plus animals!  

I've been thinking about St. Patrick's Day and this summer's library theme, "Dig Into Reading", and naturally I thought of potatoes!  I did a potato storytime several years ago and we all really enjoyed it!  I used Diana Pomeroy's One Potato and Potato Joe by Keith Baker.   I've recently discovered this adorable book, Pigs Love Potatoes by Anika Denise, and would like to find a way to use it too!  Of course we'll do the traditional One potato, Two potatoes rhyme and I found a cute potato chant at Yakaberry that I want to use too.  I really didn't find any other potato rhymes so I made one up to go with some felt potatoes that I had made for a simple count to 10 activity. 

Digging Potatoes  
by Kathryn Roach

Let’s go out to the garden and dig in the ground,
Down in the dirt 10 potatoes will be found!

10 brown potatoes growing so fine,
The farmer dug one up and that left nine.

Nine brown potatoes will be yummy on my plate!
The farmer dug one up and that left eight.

Eight brown potatoes in a line so even,
The farmer dug one up and that left seven.

Seven brown potatoes for my potato pancake mix,
The farmer dug one up and that left six!

Six brown potatoes have grown to a good size.
The farmer dug one up and that left five.

Five brown potatoes now,... there used to be more!
The farmer dug one up and that left four.

Four brown potatoes that have eyes but cannot see!
The farmer dug one up and that left three.

Three brown potatoes to add to the veggie stew,
The farmer dug one up and that left two.

Two brown potatoes that never saw the sun!
The farmer dug one up and that left one.

One brown potato, the last one of the bunch
The farmer dug it up and baked it for his lunch!
   

3 comments :

  1. I LOVE this! In Scotland we even have a vacation week traditionally named after the potato - the Tattie holiday! (It's in October), so I'll be making this for then if not before. I also love your potato book suggestions, I have to see which ones I can source!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, back when I did this theme I also did a craft. We made our own paper Mr. Potato head. There's also potato printing as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those craft ideas would both be fun. You've given me the ideas that we could make Mr Potato head with real potatoes and paper and pipeleaner accessories!

    ReplyDelete