Friday, November 20, 2015

Guest post for Bethany: Three Nervous Turkeys!

I'm so happy to be hosting Bethany on my blog! She is Head of Children's Services at the Bedford Free Public Library. She has a really fun song/rhyme in time for Thanksgiving!


Three Nervous Turkeys
A Thanksgiving flannel board song
I found Five Nervous Turkeys on the ALSC blog (http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2013/11/give-thanks-for-storytime/).  The song is funny, filled with my favorite autumn fowl, and easy to make with free clipart.  But, as I searched for images and hummed along, I wanted a chorus for everyone to sing and a new verse for the ducks.  5 turkeys, with a full chorus between each verse, plus a final verse to acknowledge the duckiness … is too long for my young storytime kids!  I reduced the turkeys to 3 and scavenged my surplus turkeys for silly mistakes on the duck costumes.

























Three Nervous Turkeys—tune: “My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean”
Three turkeys were getting quite nervous.
Thanksgiving Day soon would be back.
So one turkey put on a duck suit, (swap a duck for a turkey)
And now he goes “Gobble, quack-quack.”

Chorus:
Turkey, turkey, (hook thumbs together, fingers stretched out for the turkey feathers)
Turkey goes “Gobble, quack-quack, quack-quack.” (flap elbows/wings like a duck)
Turkey, turkey, (feathers)
Turkey goes “Gobble, quack-quack.”  (wings)

Repeat for 2 turkeys and 1 turkey.
After all of the turkeys are in duck suits:

Now no little turkeys are nervous.
They’re finally feeling their luck.
But you, my poor dears, might get hungry …
… unless, of course, you like duck!

(Chorus)

Ha! Thanks Bethany for sharing a fun Turkey flannelboard set! 
There are more great posts on the Flannel Friday Roundup. Check out the wonderful resources on the Flannel Friday Pinterest Boards. If you want more info about Flannel Friday here's the link for the official Flannel Friday blog.

No comments :

Post a Comment