Saturday, June 1, 2013

Froggies R Playing it Cool!

I love doing a frog theme because there are so many cute frog books!  We just did frogs again at my library and it was a blast!  I read one of my favorites ever, The Wide Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book by Keith Faulkner. The caregivers always laugh too when I purse up my lips very small to read the last line from the frog right before he jumps into the water, "SPLASH"!  I also used 2 other popup books;  Ten Tiny Tadpoles by Debbie Tarbett and Mo Willems', Big Frog Can't Fit In: A Pop Out Book. Of course, I did 5 Green and Speckled Frogs and Little Frog Are You Hiding.  I know someone has done Little Frog with paper?  but I can't remember who? *update...found it here! My version is made of pellon (the little frog) and different colored felt 'logs'*   Anyway, I wanted something new and interactive so...I cut out a bunch of different colored felt frog Ellison diecuts and made up a simple rhyme.  As I snapped  my fingers for the beat, and said the rhyme in a cool and groovy way (as cool and groovy as a white-haired librarian assistant/grandmother type can be; HA!)  the children brought their froggy to the flannelboard 'pool'.

Froggies in the Pool
by Kathryn Roach

Little Froggies *red, if you want to be cool,
Come right up and jump into the pool!

*blue, green, orange, yellow, purple, pink


Next time I'll have to wear sunglasses to help with the coolness factor.  Have a 'hoppy' time at Storytime with froggies! 

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing. I love the wide mouthed frog, and what a cute, simple rhyme for your colorful frogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And let me just add - you are so very cool! Love this idea. Will need to make me some frogs! Thanks from another finger snappin' grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it... Keep it real! LOL!

      Delete