Thursday, September 12, 2013

More Monster Mash!

Monsters are so much fun!  I have a couple more monster flannelboard sets to share this week. But first I thought I'd mention some of the books I use with this theme. I have used There's a Nightmare In My Closet by Mercer Mayer and the classic, Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. There's a new picture book that's really cute, Monsters Love Colors by Mike Austin, that I want to use the next time I present this theme. But, my new favorite monster book is Some Monsters Are Different by David Milgrim. It is ADORABLE!  Hooray! I've got so many great books to choose from now!  Anyway, I made 2 sets of 5 little monsters inspired by Flannel Friday posts *here and here. I tweaked the colors from *Anna's Five Little Monsters Sitting on the Floor, to use the colors I had. I found this terrific link at Preschool Education.com with several adorable rhymes to use them with too!
Five Little Monsters Sitting on the Floor.

One Little Monster Had a Fright
I can't remember where I got the One Little Monster Had a Fright rhyme/song... sorry! It's sung to the tune of One Elephant Went Out to Play. If you need the tune listen to this youtube link. My monsters are handpuppets. I used one 9x12 sheet of felt folded and trimmed to make the front and back. I first embellished the front, let it dry and then glued the front to the back. Here's the rhyme/song:


My Favorite monster ;)

One Little Monster                                                
One little monster had a fright
on a dark and stormy night.
He thought it was so much fun that
he called for another monster to come!
2, 3, 4...
Five little monsters had a fright
on a dark and stormy night.
They had fun but were ready to sleep
So they went to bed without a peep!    SNORE!!



And, last but not least is my version of this adorable Polka Dot Monster from Dorothy at The Wielded Pen-Children's Corner and Sarah, in the comments, that made up the rhyme.  I tweaked mine a little and glued on the facial features so that the kiddos only add the dots.

Monsters are Fun with Friends at Storytime!



2 comments :

  1. You are killing me with these monsters! They are so fun and colorful and adorable. I already have monster books, flannels, songs, etc. that I LOVE... now it will be even HARDER to choose what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! Maybe I'll do monsters for two months of storytimes. Haha.

    ReplyDelete