Thursday, September 5, 2013

An Apple a day...is delicious!

Fall is almost here so naturally I think of apples!  There are several posts on Flannel Friday Pinterest boards for apples.  Here's one  from K. Leigh @ Storytime ABC's that inspired me to make my own set.
This is a cute version of BINGO for apples.

I also like to sing the song, Farmer Brown Had Five Green Apples.  I found various versions including Ella Jenkins' version that is Farmer Brown Had 10 Green Apples.  Here's another youtube version of the song with red apples.  Here's another link with the words and a sample of the music. My favorite version is Sharon, Lois and Bram on Mainly Mother Goose here.

I made up a rhyme a few years ago that is a counting by 2's:
I Like Apples
by Kathryn Roach
I like apples crisp and sweet
Apples are my favorite fruit to eat!
2 red apples, I want more.
Add 2 green apples, now I have 4.
2 red, 2 green, now I'll add to the mix,
2 yellow apples; wow!, that makes 6.
Yes, I like apples crisp and sweet.
Apples are my favorite fruit to eat!

These felt apples are Ellison diecuts with extra pieces cut and glued on for the stem and leaves.

Here's another tweak to a classic:
Five Little Apples - 
Chant to 'Five Little Monkeys'
*Five little apples hanging in a tree,
Teasing Mr. Slinky worm, "Can't eat me",
Along come Mr. Slinky worm quiet as can be...
CRUNCH!
* 4, 3, 2, 1...
No little apples hanging in a tree.
Along came Mr. Slinky worm as quiet as can be...
His tummy is full and he's happy as can be.
Yum! Apples for lunch!

I have 5 felt apples on the board and let Mr. Slinky worm gobble up an apple each time I say the rhyme. The children think it's hilarious.
Here  is the hand puppet that I made a few years ago for a puppet skit (I can't even remember what it was?).  Anyway, I used 2 brown pieces and 2 green pieces of felt and sewed the front green piece to the front brown piece and then sewed the front to the back. The two branches are made so that my thumb and pinky can fit in them and move them.  The apples and mouth are velcroed on and the google eyes are hotglued. I usually use this puppet during a song or rhyme during this theme. Also, I use the handpuppet to wave goodbye during my ending song; Skinnamarink.

There are soooo many apple posts on blogs, but for newbie storytellers here are a few links.  Try this Pinterest board for some ideas. Here's a post from Mollie @ What Happens in Storytime.  Here's another from Anne @ So Tomorrow that's really cute too. One last link from Katie @Story Time Secrets!
Apples are so Fun and Delicious and Nutritious with Friends at Storytime!

8 comments :

  1. Oh, I love the apple tree glove. I never thought about this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty apples. The apple tree glove reminds me of The Wizard of Oz! ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers! That apple tree puppet is sooo cute and original. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the apple rhyme, I like apples!

    ReplyDelete