Thursday, February 19, 2015

Art is in the Eye of the Beholder!


This week at Storytime it was all about ART! This turned out to be a really fun theme with both the older preschoolers and the younger toddler kiddos. The book we used with all the groups was David's Drawing by Cathryn Falwell. This book has fairly minimal text and nice clear illustrations with a great cumaltive device of David's drawing on each page. Since David's 'drawing' is so small in the top righthand corner of each page, I enlarged and copied it on a color copier. I mounted each picture on a piece of construction paper and laminated them. As we read the book we would put the laminated picture on the white magnetic board. The pictures stacked one slightly on top of the other (I put the magnet at the top back of each picture).  This combination of book and white board with pictures was very easy and effective with all of our age groups. I was also inspired to make a felt set of a post I saw @ Story Time Secrets by Katie Fitzgerald. It's called Harold's Other Crayon. I made felt crayons with an Ellison diecut and added glitter! LOL! Then using the same glitter colors I made a rainbow on a big piece of white fleece (my pretend paper) for a shiny happy ending! Big Hit!!
I needed another artsy type of rhyme so I finally settled on a file folder of a paintbrush and I made up a rhyme that ended with a picture and segued into the Home Extension for each kiddo. We had a cardstock programmed 'frame' for each kiddo to make their own picture! Here's the link for my rhyme Colors in My Picture.  I used a Google image of a paintbrush and drew on the drop and puddle of paint. I used black construction paper and some silver paper to make the handle. I cutout the brush, drop and puddle, then laminated the file folder. I stacked the color paper and made the picture to match the rhyme and had it last in the file folder. Oohs and Aahs when I turned it around for the kiddos to see! This turned out better than I had expected! Love it when that happens! Art and colors are so much Fun with Friends at Storytime!!




























The rest of the Flannel Friday roundup is @Story Time Secrets. Be sure to check out the Flannel Friday Pinterest Boards for other great ideas!

3 comments :

  1. Kathryn, once again you knocked it out of the ballpark! Outstanding! Stealing! Thank you for flannel glitter crayons. You've made my day! ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear that you are sharing and enjoying my book, "David's Drawing." You can also re-draw the children's additions to the drawing, cut out the shapes, and put a bit of felt on the back of them. Then the kids can add them to a flannel board with the tree drawing. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your work!! The kids enjoyed the book a lot. There was a lot of pointing out of things they saw on each page and the ending was 'just right!'.

      Delete